Worth seeing in Jenesien and surroundings
The Salten »
A paradise for excursions
The walks to the Salten, a middle-mountain landscape, with its rich mountain flora and the panoramic view on the ridges close to, cheer each and every mountain lover.
Legends on the Salten Plateau »
12 legends tell about Jenesien and surroundings
On the Salten Plateau, heading from the Stella Alpina hotel towards Lavenna (path 1/E5), you will find 12 legends that tell about Jenesien and its surroundings. The legends were written by 132 students of the Jenesien primary school.
St. Martin trail »This trail, wich is approximately 3 km long, was first thought to be a trail for meditation and conceived with special focus on children, nature and simplicity. The aim is to have visitors, especially children, experience nature through all their senses and explain them the message sent to us by God the Creator through His creatures.
Our Gothic church »
Characteristic church in South Tyrol
Approximately built around the mid of the 15th century, the patron saints of this church are Saint Genesius, Saint Sylvester and Saint Margareth. The church and the bell tower have been restored.
The council of Jenesien »
Former rectory with Gothic bell tower
The merlons, slits and the sculptured faces in the stone decorate the Gothic bell tower of Jenesien coucil, once the village school and rectory.
The earth pyramids near the hotel Wieser »
Formations from the last ice age
The earth pyramids are geological formations from the last ice age. Since then the red clayey ground slides away from the meadows and the forests and give life to the earth pyramids. The 'Margarethenbach' (a stream) originates here and flows into the Etschtal towards Siebeneich.
Mountain maple near the hotel Tomanegger »
Age about 300 years
Trunk circumference: 1,7 metres, 3,0 metres, 1,8 metres
Height: 18 metres
Leafage diameter: 18,5 metres
Age: about 300 years
The mountain maple is situated near the hotel Tomanegger, that lies half way between Jenesien and Flaas. The leafage is huge and blooming. The tree is particularly charming for its vitality and its autumn colours.
The ruins Greifenstein »First documented in 1159, they were destroyed many times due to fires and battles, and have always been rebuilt. The legend tells that these ruins have kept their second name of "Sauschloss".
The Kampidell farmhouse »First documented in 1180, from year 1600 it has been used as a holiday station by the Agostinian monks from the convent of Muri Gries. All around the little church of S. Magdalene you can find the old master's house, the prelate's house, the 'Stegerhof' with its rural buildings that is nowadays' summer residence of the Benedictine monk of Muri Gries.
The ruins »The building techniques and the disposition of stones in layers let suppose that this little fortress was built around 1180. It is highly likely that the lords of the castle were the Counts of Tyrol. The last written documentation about Helfenberg goes back to 1353.
Goldeggh »In Afing four farms with rests of ancient ruins - once resindence of the Lords of Goldegg - responsible for the maintainance of the road to Sarnthein - the coat of arms of the Lords of Goldegg is the coat of arms of Jenesien today.
Tschaufen »lat. JUGUM = YOKE formerly "Schweighof" - in the Middle Age hunting house of the local lords of Maultasch - behind the house you can see a grave that goes back to the migration period (300 - 500 a. Ch.). Nearby there are the 'Tschaufner Weiher' - biotope - once an artificial fish farm.
Langfenn - Fenn »Wet meadows; above the old path where there is a church dedicated to Saint James (patron of the travellers and wayfarer), Langfenn is a possible pagan sacred place - there are archeological finds of the Bronze Age - about 150 years ago it was cattle and haberdasher's market.
Castle Runkelstein »
The walls of the first Runkelstein Castle were built by the Baron Wangen on an outcropping of porphyry on the outskirts of the city in the 13th century. A renowned cycle of frescoes from the 14th century depicts Tristan and Isolde, while others show games, jousting, and giants and dwarves. They are considered to be the most comprehensive and varied of medieval secular frescoes still in existence anywhere in the world. Tours of the castle daily except Mondays. Restaurant open from 12.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m. Runkelstein Castle can be reached by car or by bus (n. 12), or by taking the shuttle-bus (especially handicapped people - who can also dispose of an elevator to reach the showrooms of the exhibition). If you would like to walk or to go by bike, you can follow the path starting from the town central Piazza Walther, going along the walking path next to the Talvera river. You'd really enjoy it.
Information & booking:
Phone 0471 329808
Fax 0471 324026
South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology »
The Ice Man's home - Ötzi
The collection on exhibit at the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology is structured chronologically and documents the entire history of South Tyrol from the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Age (15,000 BC) to the Carolingian period (around 800 AD).
Set off against the wider historical background, the Iceman along with the associated finds form the exhibit's core. Models, reconstructions, stereoscopic pictures, videos and interactive multimedia stations allow the visitor to gain insight into the ancient past of the southern Alpine region in a way that is, at the same time, highly informative and entertaining.
Tel. +39 0471 320100
Fax +39 0471 320122
South Tyrol Museum of Natural Science »
With a permanent exhibition area of 1,000 m² visitors have the opportunity of appreciating the great variety of South Tyrol's landscape: from its geological genesis to its morphological configuration, from its repopulation after the ice ages to its anthropization.
Alongside the permanent exhibition, the museum periodically organizes temporary exhibitions. The latest informations on the exhibitions is provided under temporary exhibitions, available in german or in italian language.
An important field of the Museum’s activity is the research carried out across the territory of the region. The focus is concentrated above all on the systematic study of the local flora and fauna as well as of the geological and mineralogical characteristics of South Tyrol.
Tel. +39 0471 412960
Fax +39 0471 412979
Messner Mountain Museum Firmian »In addition to the history of castle complex, whose first historical mention was in the year 945, which is presented in the "white tower" of the province of South Tyrol, Reinhold Messner presents mountains in art and the stories of their ascents.
Giuded tours at Bolzano »
Bolzano’s medieval centre
During the whole year the Tourist Board Bolzano Bozen offers an attractive program of guided tours for individual guests of Bolzano’s medieval centre.
Piazza Walther 8
Tel. 0471 307000