The church in San Genesio was built in the middle of the 15th century and dedicated to St. Genesio, St. Sylvester and St. Margaretha.
The church is first documented in 1186. However, an earlier Portiforium points to a date some time during the 9th or 10th century.
Since 1328 the church has been under the auspices of the Benedictine monastery in Gries. After building alterations the church was reconsecrated in 1465. The construction phase was supported financially by the Goldegger family, who therefore obtained the right to be buried in the church.
In 1555 and 1556 necessary repairs were carried out. Soon afterwards, in 1572/73 the church was altered again and the Goldegger sarcophagus was removed.
The tower was built from 1481 to 1492 with striking alternating red and white sand stones. The tower spire was only added in 1608.
The current shape of the building was finalised during building alterations in the first half of the 19th century. Revd. Untertrifaller commissioned these alterations in 1838/39. A Service of Blessing took place in 1847.
Parish of San Genesio: https://www.pfarrei-jenesien-afing.com/